06 Mar Newsletter Guidelines
The mission of the Fearrington Homeowners Association Newsletter and Calendar is to report news about people and activities in the Village of Fearrington, to reflect the flavor of life in our community, to provide a calendar of events, and to disseminate other information of interest and/or importance to all Fearrington residents.
The Newsletter welcomes news items from Fearrington residents, but in an effort to make the Newsletter as concise, informative, and as local as possible, and to control production costs, the following guidelines have been established:
- The Newsletter and Calendar will publish news about Fearrington-based groups and organizations, Fearrington activities and residents, and local non-profit events involving Fearrington residents. Only one person from each group shall be designated to relay news to the Newsletter editor.
- Please send newsletter material by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight of the 15th of the preceding month. NO submissions will be accepted after the deadline.
- Notices of coming events may be included in the Newsletter and Calendar not more than twice – one article in the month prior to the event and one the month of the event.
- Organizations that have more than one announcement for a single issue of the Newsletter or Calendar should combine the separate items in one submission.
- Submissions are limited to 150 words for Fearrington groups and 100 words for any outside groups or charities, even those involving a Fearrington resident as the contact person, and may be further edited for space requirements. The length of official FHA submissions is not restricted.
- As a matter of policy, the Newsletter will not accept essays, creative writing, poetry, artwork, re-prints from other publications, Letters to the Editor, obituaries, tributes or personal thank you notices. The Newsletter does not accept commentaries from individuals. The bulletin board on the FHA website is the place for these.
- If it is necessary to edit submissions because of space limitations, non-Fearrington organizations (which usually have other ways to be publicized) will be the first to be subject to editorial cuts.
- Organizations in Fearrington that have their own newsletters are encouraged to avoid duplication of news about their events in the Fearrington Newsletter. Such articles will only be accepted if the announcement describes an event open to the entire Fearrington community.
- Commercial advertising or advocacy articles, for example, on a particular political issue, will not be accepted. The latter include political endorsements and editorial opinions.
- All Newsletter submissions from FHA Board members and their committees should be signed and routed to the editors through the designated FHA Board member to prevent duplication of material.
- All editorial decisions are at the discretion of the Newsletter and Calendar editors and the board member responsible for Communications. If you have any questions, please call a Newsletter editor.
- Because there are so many talented and productive residents of Fearrington Village who often achieve recognition from their peer groups, i.e. artists, craftsmen, etc., the FHA Board has determined that these accomplishments can no longer be published in the monthly newsletter. Space limitations simply do not permit the inclusion of personal achievements. The FHA Bulletin Board, the Fearrington Forum, and the Artist Studios at Fearrington Village are among the websites where this information can be submitted in detail.
- Publicity/Communications chairpersons are encouraged to email the email@example.com to introduce themselves and receive style recommendations for their submissions. Submissions should be in Verdana font, and include the day, date, time, place and a contact person.