04 Jan Fearrington Garden Club Bylaws
FEARRINGTON GARDEN CLUB
Adopted April 24, 1984
Revised May 19, 1992
Revised October 19, 1993
Revised September 16, 2003
ARTICLE I Name and Purpose
Section 1. The name of this organization shall be the Fearrington Garden Club.
Section 2. The purpose of this club is to promote a greater interest in gardening; to stimulate interest in the conservation of wild flowers, trees, bird and wild animal life; and to increase concern for the protection of the environment.
ARTICLE II Officers
Section 1. The officers shall be president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer.
Section 2. Officers shall be elected annually. No officer shall hold the same office for more than two consecutive terms.
Section 3. A nominating committee shall be appointed by the president in March.
Section 4. A nominating committee shall make its slate available for publication by the end of April and shall present the slate for vote at the May meeting.
Section 5. New officers shall assume their duties at the close of the May meeting.
ARTICLE III Executive Board
The executive board shall consist of the officers and chairmen of the standing committees.
ARTICLE IV Committees
Section 1. The standing committees shall be:
- Communications – Shall be responsible for the editing and distribution of “Clippings” and other publicity and meeting notices.
- Membership – Shall recruit and welcome new members and maintain and update membership list.
- Hospitality – Shall organize refreshments and decorations for club activities.
- Program: Shall arrange for the educational activities of the club. The vice-president shall serve as the program chairman.
Projects – Shall schedule and arrange for any special events and service projects, including garden tours.
- Website – Shall maintain and update Fearrington Garden Club website.
Section 2. Chairmen of the standing committees, with the exception of the program chairman shall be appointed by the executive board or the president. All chairmen shall appoint their committee members.
Section 3. The executive board or the president may appoint ad hoc committees.
ARTICLE V Meetings
Regular meetings shall be held the third Tuesday of September through May except as changed by the executive board to accommodate special needs.
1. Annual dues shall be set by the executive board.
2. Vacancies in office shall be filled by appointment of the president.
3. Officers are responsible for obtaining a temporary substitute in the event of absence from any monthly or board meeting.
4. Amendments to this Constitution and these Bylaws shall require a majority vote of the members present.
5. Proposed amendments shall be presented for discussion at the monthly meeting preceding the meeting at which the vote is taken.